What is the Family Sponsorship program?

Family reunification is one of the top priorities for  the Canadian Government. If you are a Canadian permanent resident or citizen with a family member who wants to immigrate to Canada, you may be able to help them become a permanent resident. Family reunification remains one of the pillars of the Canadian immigration system. There are many options for Canadian Citizens and permanent residents to sponsor  your spouse, partner, dependent children, parents and grandparents to become permanent residents of Canada.

Apart from the basic requirements for you in order to sponsor your family members to come to Canada as a permanent resident, you must be able to prove that you will be supporting them financially when they arrive while being able to provide for your own needs as well. You also need to make sure that they won’t need any social assistance from the government when they are in Canada.

How to Sponsor your family members to Immigrate to Canada?

Sponsor your Spouse, Partner of Children:

Under this category an eligible citizen or a permanent resident of Canada can sponsor their spouse; common-law partner; conjugal partner or their dependent child. To be eligible for a permanent residency the applicant must not be inadmissible to Canada. A spouse; common-law partner; or a conjugal partner can be sponsored if they are at least 18 years old and the relationship is genuine. Under any circumstances if it is proved that they entered the relationship just to get a permanent residency in Canada, the application may be rejected.

If you’re sponsoring your spouse or partner under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in-Canada Class, they must live with you in Canada. They also may be eligible for an open work permit.


Sponsor your dependent Children:

Sponsoring a dependent child: a dependent child is someone who depends on their parent for financial or other support. They must be:

  • Less than 22 years of age and not a spouse or common-law partner; or
  • Is 22 years of age or older and has depended substantially on the financial support of the parent since before the age of 22 and is unable to be financially self-supporting due to a physical or mental condition.

A complete set of application must be filed for each dependent child.

Let 1WorldEducations help you reunite with your family
Interested in having your parents or grandparents to join you in Canada?

1worldeducations Immigration provides representation and legal counsel to people who are looking for a new life in Canada. The team at 1worldeducations comprises of members who are licensed by Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC) and are competent to represent their clients before immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), Service Canada and Provincial Nominee Program offices.

We are here to help
From assisting you choose the right pathway to immigrate or helping you file your applications, we want to make sure you have a great experience immigrating to Canada. As a multi lingual organization, our service is available in English, Hindi, Punjabi, Urdu, Gujarati, Spanish, Tagalog, Chinese